Friday, September 24, 2010



Friday, September 24, 2010
The Swing in the Tree

Paisley Road runs from Capilano Road  to Edgemont Boulevard where it changes its name to Sunset Boulevard.  At the bend in the road where it intersects with Elizabeth Way and  is across from Murdo Fraser Park  sits  the house at 2901  Paisley Road.  This area of the District of North Vancouver is called Lions View in the 2007 Greater Vancouver and Fraser Valley MapArt book.

The house at 2901 Paisley Road with the large side yard was built for $6,800 in 1949 by Capilano Properties Ltd.  The next year, 1950, the owners were Don E. and Juanita D. Allan.  Don Allan worked as a clerk for Imperial Oil.  In 1955 the owner was David H. Warner, an employee of Canadian Pacific Communication.  In 1960 the owners were Morley W. and Mabel A. Horton.  Morley Horton was employed as a transmission layout party chief for International Power and Engineering Consultants.  in 1971 the residents were Robert F. and Miriam E. Dyck.  Robert Dyck was employed as the officer in charge at the Salvation Army.

By 1980 the owner was Gerda G. Weissenberg, retired.  She was also reported as the owner in the 1991 and 1995/1996 City Directories.  Annette Chernin was also reported as a resident in 1995/1996.

Can you find the swing?

The large side yard at 2901 Paisley Rd. must have at one time been the play area of a youngster.  In memories of those days the child's swing is now hung  up in the branches of the tree.

Demolition: Permit applied for from the District of North Vancouver in September 2010.
Photos: Taken in September 2010 by SW.



6 comments:

  1. I love this site Suzanne. Keep up the great work. Fascinating from start to finish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm Annette Chernin. My Grandparents purchased this house shortly after we my family came to Canada in 1980. Indeed many children played in that garden. I don't recall a swing but have many memories of invisible soccer nets between the giant trees and hedges:) I also think of my grandmothers fantastic green thumb and all the beautiful flowers at the front of the house and vegetable garden in the back. I do believe this house was specifically chosen because it had a room large enough to host my grandfathers grand piano! I drove by recently before the demolition started. My mother and brother made a special trip to see the house recently as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Annette's brother and also spent some time living in the house when I commuted to UBC as it was on the express bus route.

    The house had a 100ft tall Douglas Fir tree in the back yard, and it was such a shame that the new owners tore it down. I just happened to be passing by to visit the home when it was taken down, and here is a short video http://www.flickr.com/photos/22501685@N03/5095898904/

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother ,Gerda Weissenberg and my late father, purchased the house in the summer of 1977 shortly after their arrival from South Africa. As Annette mentioned ,it was their first home in Canada. I also have fond memories of my mother in the house and garden. I remembermy brother helping her to grow strawberries.The flower bed to the right of the front door was always a welcoming sight with a mass of brightly coloured pansies (her favorites) and other annuals.
    We would often walk along Elizabeth Way into Murdoch Fraser Park, past the tennis courts,my father's favorite bench in the shade and along to the bridge over the creek.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your wondeful memories of your grandmother's home. How fortunate you were to have her in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Our family lived there from 1994 until 2010. The wooden swing was ours, much enjoyed by our children. We lifted it up to mow the lawn underneath. We loved the yard and the house and have great memories of our time there and taking walks to the duck pond. Thanks for posting the pictures!

    ReplyDelete